1 ½ cup packed almond meal
½ cup coco powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup packed pitted dates
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 163º.
- Mix together all dry ingredients (almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl and set aside.
- Place dates and water in a food processor or strong blender and blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Mix the date paste with the wet ingredients (eggs, coconut oil, vanilla), and mix until smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir until smooth.
- Grease an 8” round cake pan, and pour in batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving so that it has time to set.
- Serve plain or with fresh fruit and/or whipped cream. May also be served chilled from the fridge.
- Almonds: Almonds are a major superfood, and they are full on monounsaturated, good-for-you fats, and regulate cholesterol. It contains many nutrients that benefit the brain, and regulate cholesterol. The monounsaturated fates and vitamin E reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Chocolate: Chocolate makes us feel good; by stimulating endorphin production (the “feel-good’ chemicals). Contains serotonin, which is an anti-depressant. And it makes our skin smooth and soft because of the healthy fats; oleic acid – a healthy monounsaturated fat found also in olive oil and stearic acid – saturated fat that has a neutralizing effect on cholesterol.
- Dates: A laxative food with high-fibre content, so it can help those suffering from constipation. They are digested quite easily and are great for when you need quick energy. Also, regular consumption of dates has been found to help the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut is widely misunderstood because of its high fat content; however, coconut’s saturated fat and is made up of medium-chain fatty acids. These medium-chains are easy to absorb and digest, and are converted quickly into energy. This means that the body is less likely to store the medium-chain as fat. It is also great for healthy skin and hair.